Saturday, August 9, 2008

Simon's Story

Hi Everyone!

I can’t believe I’m finally leaving for Benin tomorrow for a 3 week missions trip doing international development work. I’ve always been open to doing missions and since university I’ve wanted to see how my engineering skills could be used to help others and serve God. This trip was two years in the making. The 1st year was researching the type of work I could do overseas and saving up vacation days. This year was matching up with an agency and preparing for the trip. I am going with a team of 5 others.

For those who don’t know, Benin is a West African country of 8.5 million people. French is the official language of the country. The agency I am going with is called Serving in Mission (SIM) and the work that we will be doing include
• Supporting the SIM hospital in Bembéréké,
• Help set-up equipment at the SIM field station near Kandi,
• Begin preliminary work on a water filtration/water management project in the area around Kandi, and
• In addition to the international development work, we will be meeting up with local churches to encourage them in their work.

Feel free to read the blogs from other Benin 2008 team members. Prayer requests are summarized nicely in the blog entry “Here we go”.

Thanks for keeping me in your prayers. I’ll be posting updates throughout the trip.

Peace, I’m out.

Simon

No comments: